As temperatures heat up across California, you might be feeling weighed down or uncomfortable in the heat after eating your regular meals. A meal detox might be your answer to clear out your system and make yourself feel lighter and more comfortable, but it doesn’t have to be a juice or detox cleanse that will leave you feeling cranky or hungry.
If you’re looking for healthy detox ideas for the summer that won’t leave you feeling hungry, going on a plant-based meal plan could be the answer for you. Detoxify your body from meat and clean up your system by trying out a vegetarian detox for 3 days, a week, or even 2 weeks. You don’t have to cut out meat long-term, but it might give your metabolism a nice change of pace to detox even for a couple of days. Looking for meal plans? Check out Fitness Kitchen LA’s vegetarian meal plans here. Just looking for some meal inspiration? Read below for fun detox ideas that will leave you feeling full and light, while giving your system a boost.
Going plant-based (even for a few days!) can be a little intimidating for people who are used to eating meat often, but it doesn’t have to be. Check out some of these delicious vegetarian meal options below.
- Smoothie Bowls:
- Smoothie bowls are great way to jumpstart your metabolism in the morning, and versatile and easy to throw together on the go. Try to mix together a good balanced blend of protein, fiber, and healthy fats that will leave you feeling healthy, energized, and ready to take on your day.
- A lot of good vegetarian alternatives involve eggs, but if you’d like to go completely plant-based, there are a lot of vegan egg alternatives. Try out Just Egg or vegan eggs to make your own plant based breakfast dishes or omelets.
- Rice Bowls:
- Any easily customizable and filling detox lunch dish is an easy and versatile meal to make on the go. Throw in brown rice, vegetables, and any of your favorite greens to make yourself a healthy meal that won’t weigh you down throughout your day. Add in a chili sauce or dressing to add an extra bit of flavor.
- An easy and classic lunch go-to for a lunch detox is to build your own wraps. Combine your favorite plant based ingredients, and add in any meat alternatives or plant based cheeses you’d like. Don’t want a cold wrap? Throw your wraps on a grilled or in a pan to warm them up.
- Cauliflower or Chickpea Crust Pizzas:
- Go the extra mile and try to go gluten-free while detoxing! A gluten-free cauliflower or chickpea crust is easy to either buy at the store or make on your own and is light but satisfying. Load up your pizza with healthy vegetables, plant-based cheese, and even plant-based meat alternatives. Don’t be afraid to detox while still enjoy comfort food!
- Jackfruit Sloppy Joes
- Already missing meat during your short detox? Try a jackfruit sloppy joe. Jackfruit is a superfood easily bought at most grocery stores, and can taste very similar to meat in a lot of meals. Though a lot of stores offer pre-marinated jackfruit options, you can marinate your own jackfruit in barbeque sauce to make the perfect sloppy joe.
- Plant Based Burgers
- An easy dinner idea during your detox is to make your own plant based burgers. Whether you use quinoa or black bean burgers, or go with a plant-based alternative like Beyond Meat or Impossible burgers, there are a bunch of different ways to have a satisfying, light dinner without the meat.
Don’t want to coordinate a week of plant based meals? Fitness Kitchen LA’s got you covered. Click here to check out our vegetarian meal plans and let FKLA create your detox plan for you.