Creating and maintaining health is a practice – it takes dedication, good decision-making, and perseverance. From fitness, to diet, to sleep schedules and everything in between – health is a multi-layered and multi-faceted practice that always has room for improvement. Humans are prone to cycles as well in which we might go periods of time without putting in the right amount of practice that is required for a healthy mind and body. Today we will look at some tips on how to develop a new healthy habit, to aid you in your quest for a healthier, happier life.
- Identify the area/areas of health which you would like to improve – do you want to work on muscle tone, lose some weight, eat more vegetables, or get more restful sleep? Some people find that once you begin tackling one area of health, that other factors will naturally follow suit. For example, if you focus on eating better, you may find that you are more energized during the day, making for a better night’s sleep.
- Set a long-term goal – change doesn’t happen overnight. If you set a long-term goal you will have flexibility to have some setbacks and make some mistakes along the way, which is only natural. Depending on your goal, set an appropriate timeline which allows you to work up to it slowly rather than all at once (example: losing 15 pounds over 3 months).
- Set short-term goals – progress is best measured in small increments. Take losing weight for example: if you have the goal of losing 15 pounds over 3 months, break that into smaller goals of 5 pounds a month, or 2.5 pounds every two weeks. This will help you stay on track.
- Set reminders for yourself – doing small things like setting reminders or leaving yourself notes on the refrigerator door can help you curb bad habits that you are trying to break.
- Ask for help/have a reward system – developing a new healthy habit is hard work. Ask for a friend or family member to come along with you for the journey. You can share your experiences, even if you have different goals. Having someone to hold you accountable for your progress is beneficial – whether it’s a friend, personal trainer, or partner. When you have reached a milestone in your short-term goals, reward yourself by doing something fun, like going to the beach for the day. Hard work pays off!
If your quest to develop a new healthy habit includes dieting or just eating a more nutritious diet, Fitness Kitchen LA can help you reach your goals. We deliver fresh, clean meals right do your door. Sign up today and get $35 off with promo code STAYFIT35.